Has COVID19 caused you to work from home? Have no fear these important tips for working from home will help you to be successful!
Plan Your Day
Being self-employed has amazing perks! For one thing, you get to work out of the comfort of your home or office. This also means more time to see your family and partners!
However, one of the challenges you may face is staying on a schedule. As someone who is self-employed, I can tell you that you are going to need some sort of schedule to stay on top of your work.
In fact, having a schedule can help you even get more done around the house.
Here are some tips for making a work schedule for yourself:
- Plan your day, week, and month schedule by taking on the daunting, and lengthy tasks first.
- Every 2 to 3 hours, make sure you are taking a 10-minute break away from your workload. It helps keep your focus and helps to prevent burn out.
- You may want to consider picking one room each day for cleaning and maintenance that way you are not stuck cleaning every room on a day off.
- Use a desk planner, paper planner, smartphone calendar, or even download an app that works as a digital planner.
- Make sure you also create reminders for appointments and schedule these accordingly.
- Make sure you are eating meals every 2-3 hours as well to help keep your energized and to keep your metabolism going.
Don’t Slack Off
I get it, working from home can be very relaxing and you may want to take extra time to do a task. No one is watching, no one can report you slacking off either. Please DO NOT slack off!
If you have a task that needs to be done within a certain amount of time get it done before time is up. It also helps your employer feel that you are trustworthy and reliable.
Set Yourself Up For Success
Setting yourself up for success when working remotely is essential to your success.
- If possible have a separate room that you can use for an office. Or a quiet space where you will not be disturbed.
- You may want to invest in noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds if you are doing telecommunication work that involves a phone and customers. You want to make sure that there is very little feedback between you and the person on the receiving end. It helps eliminate confusion and miscommunications as well.
- When setting up your workspace you should make sure you have all the ed supplies within close distance so that you can easily access them. For example, you may want to keep a mug of pens, files, paper, and any other office supplies you use during your workday on your desk at all times.
- Keep drinks nearby such as water, to keep you hydrated during your day. Try to avoid caffeine if possible because you do not want to be writing an important document, or another important task and wind up having a caffeine crash.
- Keep a do not disturb sign on the door or wall if you can so that family and children know when you are working and need to get things done.
- Dress appropriately. If you are going to be in video chats make sure that nothing is revealing, stained, or anything that goes against wardrobe guidelines. Keep a neat and professional attire. Just because you’re working from home does not always mean you can slack in PJs(sorry not sorry).
- Do keep timesheets of when you work, it’s vital!
If you feel a little overwhelmed, or lonely here are my tips for working from home.
- Phone a friend
- Video chat with a friend over coffee or lunch
- Join online communities
- Look into Facebook Groups there are tons of entrepreneur and work from home groups where you can make some new connections!
- Play with your children
- Snuggle with your partner
These crucial yet simple tips for working from home will help you strive for greatness. You may just find yourself in a new career!
Subscribe to my email below and never miss another post again!